I write a lot about creativity. I think a lot about it. I have walked in the creative process in many different ways. And, I love creative people. I also believe that all of us have a distinctive path of creativity in front of us if we will take the risk to dream and explore. As I walk in this path, I find that I discover things about myself that I never knew before. When I step out of the boat and respond to Holy Spirit, many exciting adventures await me.
At the bottom of this blog post is the article, “18 Things that Highly Creative People Do Differently.” I read it carefully because I love articles like this. I looked at the 18 characteristics and then looked at me. How did I compare? The article is at the bottom. But, here’s the list of the habits of creative people and how I may or may not fit in. How about you?
1. They daydream. Yes, I do. I find myself seeing in pictures. As a visual learner, I leap into the picture and daydream. That often births something within me – a word, a blog post, and idea.
2. They observe everything. Yes, I do. I take a journal practically everywhere I go, along with a book and my camera. I see and snap pictures or write because observation births ideas in me quite often.
3. They work the hours that work for them. Recently, when I was up in Canada, a wonderful prophetic woman sat down by me and said, “God is going to order your time.” To me, it was as if she was in my journal. I am finding out that my time is God’s time and so, I order my time according to His path for me as best as I can throughout my day. I find that for me, the best hours in the day for writing are from 6-9 am. That is when I pray, journal and so much more. How about you?
4. They take time for solitude. Definitely me. Most people who meet me think that I am an extrovert just because I am outgoing. In reality, I am also an introvert. What does that say about me? People tend to drain me if I am in crowds too long. I not only take solitude, I require it. My husband is so in tune with me. He knows when I just need to get away. I don’t fear being alone. I actually love it at times.
5. They turn life’s obstacles around. Hmmm, still working on this one.
6. They seek out new experiences. Yes yes yes yes……I am a traveler. There is something in me that likes to nest for a while then I long to be on the road.
7. They ‘fail up.” Another hmmmm. I try to keep trying to not take failure and rejection so personally but at times, I “fail down” for a few days. BUT, I am also very resilient and I don’t stay down. I hope I can accurately say this about myself.
8. They ask the big questions. Yep!!!!
9. They people watch. Hellllllloooo! Yes………….when we lived in Abu Dhabi, I basically spent 5 days a week at various Starbucks where I wrote, read, and watched a lot of people. I only wished at that time I could have learned to lip read what people were saying in Arabic…………..:)
10. They take risks. I do but here’s the deal. I did a lot in seasons past. Then I entered season of my life where I didn’t take risks. I needed some deep healing from the Lord. Well, now I am transitioning to another season of taking risks. We may be moving soon…..big risk but we believe it is from God so may be jumping out of the boat. Woo-hoo!!!
11. They view all of life as an opportunity for expression. This is “the self-indulgent me.” I do see life as my opportunity for expression. I rearrange furniture constantly. I don’t like driving the same way to places. I am always taking new routes. I mix things up a lot. Where did I get that from? That can be good but sometimes I believe people around me would like me to be more ‘stable’ at times. Or so I think.
12. They get out of their own heads. Still thinking about this one a bit.
13. They lose track of time. Yes, when I am involved in something I love. If I dislike what I am doing, then time drags and I can get so bored.
14. They surround themselves with beauty. Yes, yes AND it does not have to cost a lot of money. Style and taste are not dependent on how much you earn or who you know. I shop, constantly looking for what is ‘me’ for I won’t even hang a painting or print in my house unless it reflects who I am.
15. They connect the dots. Okay, I am a good discerner and can put the puzzle pieces together at times. But, negativity was a big wound in my heart. Needed healing and God is good. So now I can connect the dots in a new way without being cynical or sarcastic.
16. They constantly shake things up – since I was a little girl.
18. They follow their true passions………….this one resonates with me the most. Yes!
So here is the article. Now, read it yourself and see how you stack up to these insights about creative types. Great read.
In Christ, Debra Westbrook
Please pray and consider having Rivers of Eden minister in your gathering, home group, conference or church in 2014. This is our year of release wherever and whenever God opens His doors bringing His grace and His glory through us to those to whom we are called in this season. You can contact us on Facebook or Twitter.